Jan 20, 2017
Sweet and Spicy Cherry Cola Hot Wings
Chicken Sous Vide for a Game Day Win
Taber Randolph’s recipe for chicken sous vide cherry cola hot wings is the ultimate crowd-pleaser. First of all, homemade goodness beats takeout any day of the week, especially for such a momentous occasion as the upcoming game in Houston, TX. Secondly, a recipe that punishes as much as it thoroughly pleases is sure to get tongues wagging.
In Taber’s recipe, also available from our Eat Tender app, cherry cola sweetness perfectly balances the spiciness of the rub and hot sauce. If you’re going for a complex flavor profile that looks deceptively easy to create, then you’re ready to be the reigning MVP of tailgate parties.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Sous vide time: 2 hours
Yield: 3-4 servings
– 3 lbs. chicken wings (about 24 pieces)
– Cowgirl “Ride ’Em Rub” (brand is JB’s Fat Boy) or seasoned spice blend of your choice
– 1½ cups Frank’s RedHot® Buffalo Wings Sauce
– 3 tbsp. butter
– 1 cup cherry cola
– 2 smashed garlic cloves
– 2 tbsp. brown sugar
1. Preheat your Nomiku water bath to 65°C (149°F).
2. Season your wings with the rub to taste, then place them in a gallon-sized heat-safe bag along with ½ of a cup of the hot sauce and 1 tbsp. of butter. Shake the bag to evenly coat the wings, then vacuum-seal, or use the water displacement method, to push out all the air.
3. Lower the bag into your water bath and cook for 2 hours.
4. To make the sauce, combine the cherry cola, remaining 1 cup of hot sauce, remaining 2 tbsp. of butter, brown sugar, and garlic in a medium sauce pot.
5. Bring the mixture to a simmer and cook until the sauce has reduced by about half (should be thick enough to coat the back of a spoon).
6. Remove from heat and set aside, discarding the garlic cloves.
7. After two hours have elapsed, remove the bag from the water bath.
8. Preheat your broiler to medium high heat (that’s 450°F if your broiler has temperature settings).
9. Remove the wings from their bag, discarding any liquid, and thoroughly pat them dry.
10. Transfer the wings to a baking tray lined with foil, then broil on the middle rack until the skin has crisped, flipping them with tongs as necessary to avoid scorching, for approximately 5-10 minutes.
11. Once the wings are crisped, transfer them to a large bowl and toss with the sauce to coat.
These wings are also excellent grilled! Simply preheat your grill to medium high heat (450°F) and oil the grill well before proceeding.
Send Nomiku Your Favorite Game Day Recipe
If you’re a fan of chicken sous vide, we’d love to see your recipe submissions on Eat Tender. We’re hungering for more unique game day ideas to share with the community. When you join Eat Tender, you have an ever-expanding library of sous vide recipes right at your fingertips. We’d like to thank Taber Randolph for taking the time to share his sweet and spicy cherry cola hot wings!
Tags: cherry cola hot wings, chicken wings, hot and spicy, party recipe.