Feb 18, 2015
Sous Vide Hainanese Chicken Rice
Feb 18, 2015
Cook time: 2 hours sous vide
- 6 Chicken Thighs
- 4 Thumbs of Ginger, Cut into 1/4” Slices
- 4 Stalks Green Onion, Cut into 1” Sections
- Kosher Salt to Taste
- 6 Cups Water
- White or Brown Rice – For 6 People Follow Directions on Package
- 1 teaspoon Sesame Oil
- 2 Cups Chicken Broth from Cook
- 4 Cloves Garlic – Minced
- 1 Thumb Ginger – Minced
Chili Sauce Ingredients:
- 2 Tablespoons Chicken Broth from Cook
- 1 teaspoon Lime Juice
- 2 teaspoons Brown Sugar
- 4 Tablespoons Sriracha
- 4 Cloves Garlic
- ½ Thumb Ginger
- Green Onions- Chopped into Fine Pieces
- Drizzle of Sesame Oil
- Side of Soy Sauce
- 1 Cucumber – Sliced into Thin Strips
- Set up Nomiku water bath and turn temperature to 64ºC (147.2ºF).
- Clean chicken by rubbing with kosher salt and rinsing clean. Season chicken thighs with kosher salt to taste and place 2 chicken thighs with 2 cups of water in a freezer safe zip bag or vacuum seal bag, add equal amounts of green onion and ginger in each of the 3 bags. Seal using the water displacement method or a vacuum chamber. Sous vide for 2 hours.
- Clean and soak rice — set aside.
- Remove 1 bag of chicken from water bath and turn Nomiku down to 55ºC. Drain the chicken broth from the bath and reserve broth for cooking the rice. Re-seal and put chicken back into water bath to keep warm.
- In a small sauce pan, heat two tablespoons of cooking oil and add ginger and garlic and cook until light brown. Remove from heat and pour into clean uncooked rice. Make rice according to the package but use broth in place of water.
- While the rice is cooking, make the chili sauce. Put 2 tablespoons of chicken broth, lime juice, sugar, sriracha, garlic and ginger into a food processor and blend until smooth.
- To serve, drizzle some sesame oil on your chicken and serve over the chicken rice with some green onions, cilantro, and cucumbers. Serve the chili sauce and soy sauce on the side.
Tweet Like Pin Post Plus
Tags: asian, celebration, chef, chicken, chinese, chinese new year, cny, cny2015, cooking, delicious, eating, f52, fatty, food, foodie, foodporn, hainan, hainanese, hainanese chicken rice, nom, nomiku, recipe, rice, sous vide, sousvide, yummy.