May 4, 2014
Monday Nomday: Sous Vide Octopus with Asparagus and Charred Peppers
Cook Time: 4 hours sous vide, 2 minutes searing/griling
• 1 octopus
• 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, extra for drizzling
• 2 teaspoons sea salt, extra for taste
• 5 stalks of asparagus
• 4 long California long green chilies (Anaheim chile)
• 1 lemon
1. Set up Nomiku and turn temperature to 84°C (183°F).
2. Clean the octopus and cut into bite size pieces. Seal in zip bag with extra virgin olive oil and 1 teaspoon of salt (use air displacement method to remove air). Cook for 4 hours.
3. Using a blowtorch or setting your oven to the highest broiling setting, charr chilies until they are all black. Place in container with a lid for 20 minutes so that the chilies steam and skins come easy off. Clean peppers (do not run under water), and cut into thin pieces.
4. Remove octopus from bag, reserve jus for a risotto or delicious seafood soup later. Jus lasts in fridge up to 1 week and in freezer for 1 month. Char the octopus in a pan or high, grill, or hand blowtorch.
Shave asparagus with vegetable peeler over octopus and add all green chilies to the mix. Drizzle olive oil and lemon juice over.
Tags: asparagus, chef, cooking, foodporn, how to, mondaynomday, nom, nomiku, octopus, pepper, recipe, seafood, sous vide, sousvide, veggies.