Feb 14, 2017
Delectable Date Night Sous Vide Lamb
One, Lean Flavorful Rack of Lamb
Chocolate and lamb, while an unlikely pair, make for a truly delectable Valentine’s dish. Inspired by authentic Mexican mole, our recipe for sous vide rack of lamb features a chocolate chili glaze. The sweet, savory glaze offsets the lamb’s traditional ‘gamey’ flavor, and the unique chemical properties of the chocolate help build a veritable bridge between the lamb and the mint garnish.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Sous vide time: 2 hours (or up to 4)
Yield: 2 main course servings
Pairs well with: sous vide artichokes
– 1-1½ lbs. fresh rack of lamb (6-8 bones)
– Kosher salt
– 1 tbsp. ground ancho chile
– 2 tsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
– ½ tsp. ground cumin
– 1 tsp. Chinese Five Spice blend
– ¼ cup Thai sweet chili sauce
– 1 tbsp. firmly packed dark brown sugar
– Red chili flakes
– Mint leaves
– Flaky sea salt such as Maldon or Fleur de Sel
If you don’t have ground ancho chile, you can use paprika instead. Smoked paprika is an especially nice substitute.
Method for Sous Vide Lamb
1. Preheat your Nomiku water bath to 55ºC (131ºF).
2. Combine all the ingredients for the spice mix in a small bowl.
3. Season the rack of lamb to taste with the Kosher salt and half of the spice mix (about 1 tablespoon). Save the rest of the spice mix for the glaze later. Make sure to season the meaty side of the lamb by rubbing in the spices with your hands until they adhere.
4. Put the seasoned lamb into a gallon-sized heat-safe bag. Tightly seal the bag using the simple water displacement method.
5. Carefully lower the bag of lamb into the water bath and sous vide for 2 hours.
6. Once the sous vide lamb is ready, take the bag out of the water bath and set it aside to cool for 5 minutes or up to half an hour.
7. Preheat your broiler to medium and put the broiler rack in the middle position.
Swoon-worthy Chocolate Chili Glaze
8. To make the glaze, combine the sweet chili sauce, brown sugar, and remaining spice mix in a small bowl.
9. Transfer the sous vide lamb, meat side up (bones should face down), to a baking tray lined with a rack. Next, spoon the glaze over the sous vide rack of lamb. Generously coat the meat.
10. Put the baking tray in the broiler and cook until you see the glaze bubbling. It will take 3 to 5 minutes to caramelize.
11. After you take the lamb out of the oven, let it rest for 1 to 2 minutes. Transfer the lamb to a cutting board and slice in between the bones with a knife to separate the rack into chops.
12. Finally, put the lamb chops on a warm serving platter and sprinkle mint leaves, red chili flakes, and flaky salt for garnish.
Pairs Perfectly with Sous Vide Artichoke Hearts
If you’re planning a romantic dinner for two, we think you’ll love our recipe for sous vide artichokes. The chokes’ blood orange sauce is the perfect set-up for the tender, glazed lamb. Do you have an appetizer suggestion? We’re always excited to hear about your favorite recipes in our comments section below.
Tags: lamb rack, romantic recipe, savory, sweet, valentine's day.