Cook time: 40 minutes for beets and 2 hours for duck breast
- 4 golden beets
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 peaches - sliced
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 5 cups baby arugula
- 4 cups mixed salad greens
- 2 cups Watercress
- 2 Duck breasts
- 1 cup green beans, blanched
- 3 tablespoons chopped almonds
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 3 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons duck fat - extracted from the duck breast
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons blackcurrant jam, warmed
- Salt and pepper to taste
Steps for sous vide golden beets:
- Set up Nomiku and turn dial to 85°C (185°F).
- Shave skin off beets and put in bag with butter. Remove air from bag, seal, and place in Nomiku water bath at 85°C for 40 minutes.
- For a video on beets, click here
Steps for sous vide duck breast:
- Set Nomiku to 57°C (135°F).
- Gently score the skin of the duck into a crosshatch pattern, take care to not cut through into the flesh. Reserve the duck fat in skillet for the dressing.
- Warm skillet up to a medium high heat and sear both sides of the duck 1 minute each side. Seal duck breasts in bags and remove air. Cook in Nomiku water bath for 2 hours
- Take duck out of bag and place on paper towel to dry, season with salt and pepper as desired. Sear over high heat in a skillet to extract more fat and crisp up skin for 1 minute. Never go more than a minute or you risk overcooking the meat.
Dressing and Salad Steps:
- For dressing: thoroughly blend duck fat, rice wine vinegar, ijon mustard, olive oil and a pinch of salt.
- Heat up a cast iron, sprinkle peaches with sugar, sear peaches face down until you get a nice char. Also works great on a grill.
- Wash and plate greens.
- Dice up sous vide beets to add to plate, add string beans, grilled peaches, and sliced duck breast with a line of blackcurrant jam on the duck.
- Top with crushed almonds and dressing.
- Season with salt and pepper as desired.